Monday, June 11, 2012

Grand Canyon to Sedona to Winslow, AZ








My morning started out waking up in the tree covered lodge of the Grand Canyon South Rim…so pretty much it is going to be a great day…I loaded up Aichi and then headed east to the Desert View exit of the Park…this is about 30 miles with scenic viewpoints to pull over and admire the sweeping and majestic glory of GC…Wow…how serene it is…so old and still…lovely…
After exiting the park I am now riding through Navajo country…wow what a tough people they must be because the land is so beautiful but yet so harsh…I stopped at a small roadside stand to look at some locally made jewelry buy the Navajo women…such beautiful beadwork and necklaces…when I pulled up, before I could even get my helmet off this little boy comes running out towards me and screaming motorcycle, motorcycle, motorcycle…then he walked me into the shop…his name is Riley…what a cutie pie!!
It is getting hot now and down through the Navajo Indian reservation….and then turning south to head towards Sedona…I first stop off at the Sunset Crater national monument…this has eerie and amazing lava beds all surrounding this little red and orange topped volcano…quite a lovely park…
Now south to Sedona…after riding through flagstaff…I get on 89A…which is a pretty road going through ponderosa pines and then it turns into a steep grade and winding esses…on a very, very rough road…teeth rattling and spine jarring ride down the canyon until you see the first view of the red rocks of Sedona!  Wow pretty amazing…riding through and reconnecting back on to 17 North hwy towards Flagstaff. Which is also pretty and not so treacherous..up and over the mountains so the heat of Sedona was quickly replaced with the coolness of high elevation….beautiful views for miles from up there….
Then over to Route 66/Hwy 40 east towards Albuquerque…stopping for a few ghostly Route 66 historical moments…and the last one being in Winslow, AZ…where after a delicious dinner at the Falcon Family Restaurant, which looked pretty scary at first, but the food was so fresh and good!  Found my hotel and sweet dreams to all ….thanks for coming along….

Total Miles = 2527.4

No comments:

Post a Comment